Thread: Body/Trim: 140: - Dash cover removal
View Single Post
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 20:46   #8
Dylan144GT

John

Thanks for the input. The problem with the older dash is that it isn't symetrical for LHD and RHD vehicles. There is a cut out where the steering columb intersects with the dash padding. Which is a serious pity! I don't think I'll be importing at the moment, budgets are a little tight at the moment. As is the case for most I guess. My temporary solution is to remove the dash cover and to fibre glass it straight. then to cover it in a sythetic dark grey suede. I know this is a bit far from original but I really like the look of it, and its quite sporty too! I'll source an original when I have money because I can imagine these don't come cheap! But I suspect this will only be in a while!

I have figured out how to remove it, and unfortunately the dash must be removed. It is simply bolted to the firewall and sides. Then to remove the dash pad; there are metal strips that have been moulded into the support foam and slots cut into the face of the vertical dash strcuture behind the dash plate. The metal strips slide into these slots and are then twisted to keep them there. A really secure solution but a nightmare to try and remove without removing the dash itself.

In order to save a bit of time I'll probably remove the one for my 142, because it needs the same treatment, and do the alteration on there and then swop the dashes when it goes back in! And the do the second one when it comes out of my 144. In this order because the 144 is my daily commuter.

Will definately let you know how it comes along. Just back at varsity at the moment so time is a little hard to come by! But we'll soldier on!

Dylan

Last edited by Dylan144GT; Mar 4th, 2009 at 20:49.
Dylan144GT is offline   Reply With Quote