Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old May 12th, 2021, 06:11   #707
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You were lucky Alan! Could have been even further away!

Had a similar one with something i bought on fleabay many moons ago allegedly from Cambridge. They gave me the first line of their address and the village name which (not knoiwng Cambridge all that well) i thought was a district of the city.

Got there and phoned for directions and it turned out the village they lived in was near Peterborough in Cambridgeshire. Some people refuse to acknowledge the difference between the county town and the county.

They lost the sale as i wasn't about to add a 120 mile round trip to my journey for something i could buy new and have delivered for less than the cost of the petrol to go and collect the item from them and pay for it on top.

Not quite the same scale and more their mistake than mine for not knowing where they lived but same general idea.

I now double-check if it says something ambiguous on the location exactly where it is, after all there are many places with duplicated names in different parts of the country (for example, 3x St Ives, at least 2x Watlington, Narborough, Fordham and a few others i can't bring to mind) and sometimes get a rude reply back saying it's in a certain area which gets an equally polite reply of "Oh, i thought it was in <different area>".
... sort of lucky Dave - New Hampshire was about 400 miles away! I was new to eBay and new to the US at the time. It was an adventure to see the Eastern seaboard (both by train and truck) - so I went ahead with the purchase.

The Ford truck turned out to be marvellous: it had belonged to a builder and had a little ding in almost every panel - the dealer had taken it in a PX and wanted to get rid of it quickly so I bought it (for about $2,000 - then £1,000). I fixed the truck up a little bit and it became a vehicle of choice (although I also had a Mustang and a Mitsubishi SUV) for the next 3 years and 30,000 miles. It proved very popular amongst my neighbours (in a very well heeled suburb of DC) - there was always someone that wanted to borrow it to move a piano, dining room table or collect a load of mulch for their garden. At the end of my tour I sold it to a biking mate - I think for $2,000.

... interesting registration plates were much easier to obtain in Virginia:

Last edited by Othen; May 12th, 2021 at 06:27.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: