Thread: General: - Tools
View Single Post
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 00:19   #9
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Another vote for the higher end stuff from Halfords. I've found it to be very good quality and their guarantee is very good too. For stuff you're going to be using regularly buy the best quality you can almost afford. When you look back it will seem remarkably cheap.

Good tools are a joy to use and bad ones will make your life a misery.

I too have a Draper socket set bought in 1984 for £17 which has been excellent apart from the ratchet drive which wasn't quite up to the abuse that got thrown at it when I knew no better.

I'd intended to get an Elu socket set and went in to a well regarded tool shop to buy it. The chap behind the counter asked me what I wanted it for and I explained what it was likely to be used for. "There's no need to spend that sort of money unless you're using it all day and every day. This Draper set will do everything you need and more at half the price" over 35 years later I can confirm he was right. I lost one socket and broke another one as a result of extreme overload but otherwise it still serves me well.

As regards torque wrenches I have an old Norbar wrench bought from Argos in 1985 that covers 15 to 150 Nm and has absorbed everything I've thrown at it. I also have a much newer Norbar wrench covering the 8 -50 Nm range which is a lovely bit of kit. About £70 four years ago. Highly recommended.

To date I've managed without an impact wrench but I can certainly see its value and will probably end up getting one soon.

I've been fortunate enough to borrow a good quality set of axle stands and a reasonable jack from my neighbour. Each time I try to return them he claims he's a bit short on space in his garage and would I mind hanging on to them a bit longer. I'm not going to argue! Again get the best you can. When a ton or so of car descends on you unexpectely you don't get long to reflect on the wisdom of buying cheap. The same goes for things like spring compressors too.

A good breaker bar is well worth having. Apart from undoing tight nuts it's incredibly useful for angle tightening because of the control it affords. There's not a lot to go wrong with them so anything from a reputable manufacturer should be fine. Let price be your guide.

Don't discount good second-hand tools; there are bargains to be had if you choose carefully.

Hope this is of some help and interest.

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post: