Thread: General: - Tools
View Single Post
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 19:36   #3
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
I'm in the market for the following items as I plan to do more of my own work on my 940 in the new year. Looking for recommendations for the following:
  • Torque wrench suitable for automotive use capable of doing big torque items like hubs and suspension/steering fasteners
  • Breaker bar
  • Axle stands
  • Socket set

Not looking at Snap-on level professional stuff but do want to take a "buy once" approach on quality vs price. I've got a very basic cheap Halfords socket set which is utter bobbins, appalling tolerances and incapable of taking or dishing out big torque.

Funnily enough the Halfords Advanced pro torque wrench ( 40 -200 NM )received excellent reviews. I bought one and it's been very good. Around £100

I have 2 sets of axle stands but the ones I've found to be good are the Faithfull 3 tonne https://www.amazon.co.uk/Faithfull-3.../dp/B007P0YC7U

Best thing you can ever buy for working on old cars is a good cordless impact wrench but your talking close to £300 for a good one ( DeWalt / Milwaukee )

Other than that just buy the best you can. Snap on are fantastic and I have the brake wrenches but they are £40 each

I now service all the family cars which is currently 7 so compared to garage bills it's a no brainer !
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post: