Thread: 1800: - 1972 pv1800es
View Single Post
Old May 15th, 2021, 20:08   #90
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Delores has a 55A Bosch alternator Dave. I think LED headlamps are a good idea because of the puny wire Volvo used - I don't want it catching fire!

I haven't considered any engine tuning yet. It is an old fashioned OHV unit, so it won't take long to check the clearances and I'll probably get round to that in the next month. I have a feeling the einspritzen needs a bit of fettling.

Many thanks for the link. A nice 2" sporty exhaust for £240sounds favourite. If I can't fettle the existing one into the right space I'll see if 'Janet' will just buy one of those and I'll have it fitted in an afternoon.

:-)
The alternator should cope with halogen bulbs Alan but i totally agree, the LEDs would be a good idea because of the old, thin wire - add a fuse into the headlamp feed for added safety!

Golden rule before even thinking of touching the einspritzen is get the valve clearances correct and the ignition dwell and timing - many faults can be "dialed out" by tweaking the injection then suddenly reappear as bad or worse after you've sorted the valve clearances and ignition.

Given the fact the engine and gearbox don't seem to have been touched during the restoration, i'd whip the plugs out and check the gaps first then get a dwell meter on the points and finally check/adjust the timing and check the advance etc as mentioned by our Canadian friends further up.

Also if you do end up dropping the box to do the rear crank seal, i'd suggest changing the oil in it (and the diff) but those are probably on your "to do" list anyway. Wise precaution renewing them if you're unsure if they've ever been done, ditto the brake fluid.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote