Thread: 1800: - 1972 pv1800es
View Single Post
Old May 15th, 2021, 19:26   #89
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Does Dolores have an alternator or a dynamo Alan? If it's the latter then that's another good reason for the LED bulbs but even with the alternator, i seem to recall (certainly from my old 144) the alternator wasn't a great output (45A at the most if memory serves) and i'd suspect the alternator would be about the same if it has one.

Do you have a dwell meter at all? From the things you've said i'd suggest checking the dwell angle on the points and the ignition timing, also the valve clearances. Just setting those up correctly could sort the feel that there is something more to give from the engine, a comment you made in an earlier post suggested you felt it had more to give.

With the exhaust, have a look at these two links :

https://www.classicvolvoparts.co.uk/...injection_Cars

https://www.classicvolvoparts.co.uk/...anch_Manifolds

It seems all the bespoke hangers are still available on the first page along with many other service parts. On the second link, the sports/performance oriented parts are also available and in many cases cheaper than the original/reproduction parts (manifold/downpipes a good example) so upgrades might be in order from a budget point of view!
Delores has a 55A Bosch alternator Dave. I think LED headlamps are a good idea because of the puny wire Volvo used - I don't want it catching fire!

I haven't considered any engine tuning yet. It is an old fashioned OHV unit, so it won't take long to check the clearances and I'll probably get round to that in the next month. I have a feeling the einspritzen needs a bit of fettling.

Many thanks for the link. A nice 2" sporty exhaust for £240sounds favourite. If I can't fettle the existing one into the right space I'll see if 'Janet' will just buy one of those and I'll have it fitted in an afternoon.

:-)