Thread: 1800: - 1972 pv1800es
View Single Post
Old May 15th, 2021, 16:08   #86
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Thank you again Dave, I have passed on the link to the LED bulbs. In my view that is a better answer than converting to halogen bulbs - I'd say the wiring would be at best marginal for halogen bulbs (particularly with no fuse protection) but would be absolutely fine for LEDs.

Once I get Delores running the way Mr Volvo meant it to, 'Janet' can decide upon sensible upgrades. She has a realistic budget that should enable her to have a really nice car with some subtle (and largely invisible) improvements over standard. I've suggested: LED headlamps, a stainless exhaust and electronic ignition - those are all things I'd do if it were my car (but it is not of course).

For the time being I've committed to making the lighting work properly, trying to align the exhaust properly and sorting out the oil leak (I'm hoping the additive will do that)... that is all

:-)
Does Dolores have an alternator or a dynamo Alan? If it's the latter then that's another good reason for the LED bulbs but even with the alternator, i seem to recall (certainly from my old 144) the alternator wasn't a great output (45A at the most if memory serves) and i'd suspect the alternator would be about the same if it has one.

Do you have a dwell meter at all? From the things you've said i'd suggest checking the dwell angle on the points and the ignition timing, also the valve clearances. Just setting those up correctly could sort the feel that there is something more to give from the engine, a comment you made in an earlier post suggested you felt it had more to give.

With the exhaust, have a look at these two links :

https://www.classicvolvoparts.co.uk/...injection_Cars

https://www.classicvolvoparts.co.uk/...anch_Manifolds

It seems all the bespoke hangers are still available on the first page along with many other service parts. On the second link, the sports/performance oriented parts are also available and in many cases cheaper than the original/reproduction parts (manifold/downpipes a good example) so upgrades might be in order from a budget point of view!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: