Thread: 1800: - 1972 pv1800es
View Single Post
Old May 15th, 2021, 15:35   #85
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You're welcome Alan, i thought she might, hence adding the links for the conversion bulbs designed to fit as well as the converter rings to allow H4 bulbs to fit. Being pre-1986 there's no MoT problems with LED bulbs although those linked to will give a perfect beam pattern.

Fitting the replacement headlamp sockets should be fairly easy, as long as the full beam tell-tale works and full beam works at the same time then dipped beam should also work.

There are other headlamp options available for the 7" round headlamps but i would suggest the simplest choices rather than going for a full on crystal lens with faceted reflectors as they would just look wrong.

For the time being i'd definitely agree with getting everything working to a basic standard and from there decide what needs upgrading/enhancing.
Thank you again Dave, I have passed on the link to the LED bulbs. In my view that is a better answer than converting to halogen bulbs - I'd say the wiring would be at best marginal for halogen bulbs (particularly with no fuse protection) but would be absolutely fine for LEDs.

Once I get Delores running the way Mr Volvo meant it to, 'Janet' can decide upon sensible upgrades. She has a realistic budget that should enable her to have a really nice car with some subtle (and largely invisible) improvements over standard. I've suggested: LED headlamps, a stainless exhaust and electronic ignition - those are all things I'd do if it were my car (but it is not of course).

For the time being I've committed to making the lighting work properly, trying to align the exhaust properly and sorting out the oil leak (I'm hoping the additive will do that)... that is all

:-)