View Single Post
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 20:10   #9
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoRob38 View Post
Last night I lock the car with the manual key so that the alarm wouldn't be activated and drain the battery. Ive just been out in the car and started up as normal, although I can hear a squeek like a belt is slipping.
Can someone please confirm if I have a timing belt or chain on my c30 1.6d 2009 (photo attached). Reading online it sounded like it had a chain, but looking in the engine I can see a plastic case that makes me not so sure. This does seem to be directly above the alternator belt though, so possibly something else. Ive not taken the engine cover off for a proper look. which is still getting very hot I might add.

I tried checking the battery voltage, not sure if I have it on the right setting because I read set it to 20 on V, but as there are two Vs on my multimeter I wasn't sure what the additional squiggly / dotted lines mean.
Testing on this setting anyway shows 11.65 with engine off and with engine running, so I assume there is still charge in the battery but not being charged by the alternator?
I dont understand why it died last night, but today starts ok, and charge in the battery (assuming thats the correct setting/reading). Unless that 11.65v is from the jumpstart and drive home last night?

I reckon I can do the alternator, not so sure about the timing belt. Im at 69k now so it probably due a change, if its a belt.
11.65v with engine Off and on = goosed alternator
shortly to be followed by goosed battery

Disconnect the battery
get replacement alternator THEN reconnect the battery

alternator going internal short Will cause Serious heat , to the point that there MIGHT in the worse case be a fire in the engine bay,,,, Disconnect the battery

anything Less than 12v with the engine off = your going to get Issues with the cars systems
less than 12v with the engine ON ,, your going to get issues with the cars systems ,need a New alternator and very probably a new battery

my advice would be
phone volvo main dealer, get Exchange alternator from them,
fit
cross fingers you havent goosed battery,, if you have go back to main dealer for a Volvo battery, they Fit, are the Correct CCA for the car and Will last 7-8+ years,