View Single Post
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 22:10   #6
VolvoRob38

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Hi
When it happened to me all the systems started shutting down with the power steering pump and then finally the engine.

The alternator was too hot to touch and there was a bit of smoke coming from it.

I immediately disconnected the battery which saved it.
If you leave the battery connected that will very shortly be toast as well.

As the voltage drops you will get systems shutting down and various warnings come up. So more than likely

Save your battery, disconnect it at least, and then charge it later

All the systems on this car are very reliant on good battery voltage, they will shutdown and/or give various warning messages when the voltage starts dropping. these shutdowns and warnings become more regular before the end.
My last one, it all happened within 15 minutes, various systems shut down multiple warnings and finally, a lot of heat, a bit of smoke and then total shut down

Iain
I did notice my engine cover felt very hot to the touch. I was sat in the car for 15 - 20mins waiting for my mate, googling these codes. When I popped the bonnet after the engine was still super hot. Cooled down after 5mins with the bonnet open, but wasn't sure if that heat was normal.
Could a hot alternator heat the whole engine, or am I just making links that arent there?
VolvoRob38 is offline   Reply With Quote