View Single Post
Old Mar 5th, 2024, 21:29   #1
arcascomp

Default XC40 petrol manual, dead engine, minimal support from Volvo

Hi,

I'll apologise from the get go here as the car is a friend's who lives a decent distance away and my information is fairly vague, but hopefully someone here knows some way to get Volvo to provide better support or links to TSB's that suggest the fault is more Volvo's than my friends.

She has a petrol XC40 manual, I'm not 100% certain what year, or indeed engine type in use, never really paid attention to the XC40's myself. Will try and find out more info later. Mileage is also something I need to confirm but I seem to recall her saying it was low, maybe 40-60k?

Recently on a long drive home she noticed the car was making an unusual noise, but was still running ok and no warnings were showing. Once home it was taken to her usual garage to look at and initially a new flywheel was recommended. Once they started to work on it, it was discovered that some main bearings had worn prematurely causing the crankshaft to move in such a way the the whole engine is now basically trashed and requires replacement.

Volvo main dealer now has the car, has done further investigations of their own, the full details of which they are refusing to share with her, but they agree with the problem and state a new engine at circa £7000 plus 12 hours labour at £150 per hour! The car has been serviced as it should but not all but Volvo main dealers, so the most she has been offered is a 40% contribution.

I wish I had a better memory of the details but I believe there is a known fault and a TSB for this issue which would suggest Volvo should be contributing more than they are. Any suggested contacts she can raise this with as the main dealer is stonewalling and she's stuck with no car right now.

TIA

Craig
2002 V70 D5 163 - off to the car equivalent of the UHU factory for horses

Last edited by arcascomp; Mar 5th, 2024 at 21:32.
arcascomp is offline   Reply With Quote