View Single Post
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 09:53   #19
pinballdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volbo View Post
I’m not asking for a diagnosis, I’m simply asking for thoughts from people who might have experienced something similar with a similar car.
There are a lot of different Volvos, many of them are not at all similar. Without telling us which one you have, we are going to have difficulty knowing if our Volvo is similar to yours. Or whether you have an issue with a steel wheel or an alloy wheel.

While most of us are quite happy to offer advice, but if we think there's a good chance that might be wasting our time, then you're not going to get as many replies (including from people who may have the same model as you). If we've got to search your previous posts to find out what model you have, and whether our reply would be relevant, then some of us are simply not going to bother.

Having said that I own a P1 C70, and the alloy wheels on these and the similar C30,S40,V50 models do appear to suffer from buckling and distortion issues. The previous owner had both nearside alloys 'refurbished' due to kerbing distortion. The front one was OK, the rear still needed a huge amount of stick on weights to balance it up.

At it's first MOT, I'd already purchased a replacement wheel and asked the MOT garage to fit it along with a new tyre. They ran the car through the test with the old wheel on it and sure enough I got a 'Nearside Rear Road wheel slightly distorted', It also caused an issue with the brake test and got a 'Nearside Rear Service brake fluctuating, but not excessively' to go along with it. Both issues went away when the wheel was replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
If the wheel is distorted and not balanced properly it will put extra strain on the wheel bearing and wear it out prematurely.
This is a good point. This years MOT has an advisory for the 'Nearside Rear Wheel bearing slightly noisy', and I suspect it may be due to the distorted wheel.
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote