View Single Post
Old Dec 6th, 2020, 00:15   #5
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian888 View Post
Thanks however that doesnt answer what determines the need to replace. The belt is identified as an item to inspect and replace if required. So my question is if the issue is so critical then why isnt it replaced without need to inspect? What are the indications it needs replacing and if the garage advise it isnt required and it breaks the week after will they pick up the ensuing bill? I doubt it. It isnt a very satisfactory approach other than it gives the impression service costs are lower than actually required. It also smacks of poor engineering design and location of ancillaries such as aircon and power steering pumps if the drive belt can cause such mayhem if it fails.
My answer does determine the need for replacement. If the aux belt snaps & gets tangled into the timing, that can cause serious engine damage. Does that not determine the need for it to be replaced?

At 54k, Volvo will advise you to change the aux belt... period. This is the recommended replacement interval (No inspection, replacement only at this mileage). If your car has 54k or more on it, I highly doubt that Volvo would inspect the belt & tell you everything was fine & dandy. They know that these belts do fail, hence why the replacement mileage interval is relatively low & they would advise you to change it. Obviously, its up to you whether you tell them to go ahead with it or not... That's a chance you take though.

Snapped belts can cause "mayhem" on all sorts of engines. I know you're a fan of VAG products from another thread you posted a while back. I've read plenty of posts where a snapped aux belt has got tangled in the timing belt area on Passat's causing the timing to "jump" or skip teeth. Volvo aren't alone here, as a snapped aux belt can cause costly damage to plenty of other cars too (ones with interference engines anyway).

I understand that its an additional cost. The thing to bear in mind is that it doesn't matter what car you have, belts etc do need to be changed at some point in time & there's a cost to do so. Some manufacturers specify earlier intervals than others... its just how it is. Some cars don't have timing belts, they have timing chains. Although, timing chains do generally last longer than belts, they don't last indefinitely either. VW, for example, recommend replacing the timing belt every four years for cars registered before September 2009 and every five years for cars registered after. Volvo have different timing belt intervals, depending on the engine variant. I know you're not referring to a timing belt in your case, but I'm just using this as an example that different manufacturers have different intervals/parts that need to be changed at some point in time.

Anyway, its up to you whether you change the aux belt or not (I'd advise you do though if your car has 54k plus on it & so would Volvo). You moaned about the cost of a service on another thread & have said here that "it gives the impression service costs are lower than actually required" (referring to costs again because the aux belt needs doing). I'd love to have a car that cost nothing to run/maintain . Be realistic & understand that any car will cost you money at some stage down the line. No rudeness intended, I'm just stating the obvious.

Last edited by Kev0607; Dec 6th, 2020 at 00:36.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post: