View Single Post
Old Dec 5th, 2020, 14:48   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian888 View Post
Thanks however that doesnt answer what determines the need to replace. The belt is identified as an item to inspect and replace if required. So my question is if the issue is so critical then why isnt it replaced without need to inspect? What are the indications it needs replacing and if the garage advise it isnt required and it breaks the week after will they pick up the ensuing bill? I doubt it. It isnt a very satisfactory approach other than it gives the impression service costs are lower than actually required. It also smacks of poor engineering design and location of ancillaries such as aircon and power steering pumps if the drive belt can cause such mayhem if it fails.
The need for it to be replaced is because volvo stipulate that it must be changed every 54000 miles on that service ..and at the other services it's tension must be checked and adjusted if required .

You are not looking at the volvo service specification literature it seems ...

The Aux belt and Tensioner on yours is unique to the D6 , it runs the Starter/generator and is considerably stronger than on the other models ..with an equally stronger tensioner .
Tension is set via a frequency reading tool , ie, it measures the frequency the belt vibrates at when plucked ... it is crucial it is within tolerance , a dealer job if you cherish your engine ..