View Single Post
Old Dec 21st, 2014, 13:47   #23
anton differing

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc1988 View Post
1 - Handling - I currently run a 130i M Sport which is clearly designed for sporty handling and performance. I've somewhat matured beyond this and given the poor state of the roads and the ever reducing speed limits running a quick car is just not cost effective. Having said that, I do enjoy country lanes - and there are plenty where I live - with the standard suspension how well does the V40 handle? Any size engine can reach 60mph but does the V40 deliver remotely sporty handling?
It won't be as relevant to you as it is to my locality, but I know many 1-Series owners (indeed, many BMW owners) who leave their cars in the garage during Swiss winters, simply because the RWD, while more "sporting", can be very tricky in such conditions. I personally would always go for FWD. We live at the top of a very steep hill, and our FWD goes up it in snowy conditions without problems while powerful RWD cars fishtail helplessly.

As an old codger, I like the V40 (CC D3 in our case) suspension. I don't think I can corner on the door handles, but then I don't want to do that - I have long come to the conclusion that I'm not Fernando Alonso, and I want a comfortable, quiet old fogey-like passage, and this the V40 delivers. It whispers along the Autobahn, and it seems to cope just fine with the wiggly-waggly road between the village and the Autobahn.
anton differing is offline   Reply With Quote