View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2016, 20:14   #14
ITSv40
VOC Member

Successfully repaired the passenger side door mirror. It would go up and down, but even though I could hear the motors whirring there was no side ways movement.

I know how temperamental removing the glass can be, so bought a secondhand one from ebay, with the intention of fitting the replacement, then cutting off the coloured back, remove the glass off of the old one and swap the cover over, ending up with one good mirror in the correct colour. The chances of picking up a sky blue mirror were pretty remote.

Original plan failed miserably, ebay mirror arrived and mirror glass not attached to the motors, chappie said full refund given and keep the mirror. So I now had a spare to play around with. Looked behind the glass and could just see one set of tabs that needed releasing - there are four on a square footprint. Anyway managed to prise the mirror glass off intact - one corner at a time - and found the little motor arms had become detached from the mirror.

Removed my original from the car and managed to prise that glass off, now I knew how to do it. Found one motor arm detached - refitted the arm - applied a little silicone lube to the tabs and gently pressed the glass onto the motor housing. Refitted to car, now working as it should. I now have a spare glass and working motor. Just need to refit the door card, but that can wait.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote