View Single Post
Old May 31st, 2021, 15:17   #1
Tim740

Question 740 (B230A) undrivable without choke

Hi all,

Together with some other students from Delft (The Netherlands) I am the proud owner of a Volvo 740 GL from 1985 with B230A engine.

Before we bought it, we went for a test driven. After the engine had warmed up using the choke, it ran without problems, also when pushing back the choke. Starting the engine when warm also wasn’t any problem.

At the sale, we agreed that the seller would get it through general inspection before we bought it. During this inspection, they found that the CO was higher than legally permitted, for which they adjusted the carburetor.

When we pickup up the car after this inspection, we noticed that the car ran less smooth. Even with a warm engine, we needed the coke and also during driving the engine sputtered when we turned off the choke. When shifting down, the engine drops out for a second, and when pulling away, the engine barely responds to the gas. On our way back, we had to use the choke for the entire journey.

On the way home, the pre-heater hose came loose on the side of the air filter, but as far as I can find, this shouldn’t have any impact when the engine is warm – apart from that it looked quite catastrophic when we saw a hose dropping down under our new-bought car.

Because the car is somewhat drivable with the choke, combined with the fact that the carburetor (a Zenith 175 CD) was just adjusted, I suspect the problem lies in the fuel fixture.

Before we start adjusting the carburetor ourselves, I’m curious if you have any advice. Do these symptoms ring a bell for someone? Is adjusting the carburetor indeed the right approach, and if so, do you have any tips on what to look at?

Huge thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Tim
Tim740 is offline   Reply With Quote