View Single Post
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 22:26   #45
Mascher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
You’d either have to remove the injectors or the glow plugs. If someone did come up with a fix like this and it worked they’d not run short of business.

That said, I think there is more at play than just stuck rings, in my experience engines that rely heavily on EGR with no other form of after treatment also suffer bore wear. There is no easy fix for this and where you hear of consumption as bad as half a litre every 200 mile for example I wouldn’t be surprised if that is the case.

I am surprised actually or maybe failures are not that bad yet but take the ford eco boost engines as an example. There are a few people offering a high quality exchange service due to there known eco boom issues. You simply get your garage or yourself to remove your broken engine and fit one of there recon ones. Suppose it’s a numbers game, Volvo components are much more expensive than fords but what do you do? Volvo dealers are charging circa 10k for a short engine repair. Not everyone has that sort of cash ready to shell out.
Removing the injectors or glow plugs is probably beyond my abilities. Taking out a set of spark plugs and pouring the Berryman B12 down the hole was something I was willing to give a go. Like you say if I could bring the car to someone to do this for me I'd be willing to pay, but I don't think a mechanic would want to get involved.

From what I can see on other cars the Berryman b12 treatment reduces consumption to about a quarter of what it was, which would make it hardly an issue for me.
Mascher is offline   Reply With Quote