View Single Post
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 14:00   #3
blueosprey90
Master Member

I'm not sure what they do on your side of the pond, but for my classic cars I am primarily interested in "agreed value" coverage.

In conventional policies, although you pay for "comprehensive" property damage coverage, they will only pay you for the depreciated value of the car. In other words, if you buy a new car for $40,000 and crash on the way home from the dealer, they may only pay you $30,000 as the car has now been depreciated. My 2004 Honda had about 35,000 miles, was in pristine condition and is worth about $28,500. But the blue book value would say $14,500 - and that's what I might get with a total loss with conventional coverage. With agreed value coverage, there is no argument about what the car is worth. They pay out the $28,500.

Another issue is how you can use the car. Some classic insurers only allow "car show" use or have limited annual mileage requirements. I want a policy that allows me sufficient flexibility that I can use the cars when and how I want. Some years I may put up to 4,000 miles on the car(s); and I almost never go to car shows.

For me, "good service and competitive premiums" are only secondary considerations.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post: