View Single Post
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 12:31   #7
deanosabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
Yes, I've done exactly this on mine - it may have even been a post of mine you've read.

All four of my woofers blew. Dynaudio ones too. This was previous to my ownership. I downloaded an audio range sample from YouTube and played this on my phone through the AUX. This clearly identified that the sub worked, the mids worked and the tweeters worked - but the woofers didn't!

On my age V70 too - there's no adjustment for volume of parking sensors and as these use the rear woofers - I couldn't really here this at all.

I rang FRF Volvo in Swansea and although they did offer me a good discount the woofers for Dynaudio were still going to cost in excess of £700 and I just couldn't afford or justify that.

As mentioned they've VERY low impedance and this is hard to match. Crutchfield (a US site) do offer a good selection of compatible speakers though - https://www.crutchfield.com/g_473750....html?tp=78073

I couldn't find a good 2 Ohm replacement in my budget so I went for some 4 Ohm and used Amazon in the end. I bought some reasonable ones for the front (about £100 for the pair) and some cheaper ones for the rear (about £50) - still 4 Ohm.

Luckily I DO have the optional sub - I think I have lost some ummph and power (4 Ohm being more difficult for the amp to drive than 2 Ohm) but having never heard the original system - I'm still very happy with it.

It's a simple job to change - I've some photos somewhere. It took about 1hr each door from start to finish I'd say. Some rivets to drill out for the speaker mount (3 I think?) and then the speaker screws into the mount. I also unsoldered/cut the old cables and soldered in new so I could keep the original connections and it still looks 100% standard.

IF I had the money and only a pair/one was blown I would probably stump up the money and do it to be honest - My system still sounds amazing to me - but I'm unaware of how it sounded before AND I have the optional sub which makes a BIG difference. Bass is certainly not lacking but I know the weight of the original speakers and magnets was greater than the replacements for sure.

Give me a shout if you'd like any more info. I think the speakers I bought are much cheaper now - you could probably replace all four for a little over £100 these days with some Amazon non-gen specials!

I ended up buying pioneer speakers that fitted the mounts. £30 the pair and they sound fine. I also have the optional sub too so not missing out on the bass.
I left the mounts in and just undone the 6 torque screws that hold the speakers on.
I think it was your post I read, can’t believe the top end stereo (at the time) speakers are that prone to failing so easily. I remember I was listening to AC/DC with a fair bit of volume so can only imagine that’s when they failed.
Ta,
Deano.
deanosabby is offline   Reply With Quote