View Single Post
Old May 21st, 2018, 17:04   #17
ukden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
I’m in a quandary now.

I ordered the D4 because the overall MPG figures were 10 MPG better overall, than the equivalent T5 (I know that is nor representative of the real world driving figures but it’s all I have to go on), but my typical driving doesn’t suit a diesel, given that I do a couple of longish drives a month, maybe two trips to the south of France a year, and the rest is driving to Waitrose and back.

Would a T5, given the above, be worse or better in terms of fuel economy.

Also, who’s to say that in five years time, The UK and the European governments turn their attention back to the issue of greater CO2 emissions (148 compared to 173 units of CO2), therefore negating my deciding to go with the T5.

It’s hard to gauge what will happen, I know, but there does seem to be a lot of hysteria around diesels. I still have until the beginning of June before the order lockdown date, so I would appreciate your thoughts. D4 or T5?
I would expect you to get at least 10 Mpg more from the D4 compared with a T5.
The only problem with a diesel being used only for short runs is the DPF will not regenerate, however you say you are doing a couple of longish runs per month, so that should not be a problem.
The diesel is a definite bonus on your couple of long trips to the south of France because of the lower cost of diesel in France.

I am getting around 45 mpg from my D4 in general use, which for me are trips of between 6 and 25 miles. On some journeys when the conditions have been suitable (i.e. 50-60 mph) I have often exceeded 50 mpg.

Towing a caravan (1550 Kg) at 60 mph on motorways I get 28 mpg. The last petrol car I towed with was a 110 HP Fiat Tipo 1.8 ie, that would only manage 18 mpg towing a much smaller and lighter caravan (900 Kg).

Previously: MY2018 XC60 Momentum D4 Auto, Winter Pack, Volvo On Call, Rear camera, Electric deployable towbar, Tempa spare wheel.
ukden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ukden For This Useful Post: