Thread: 240 General: - Fuses/Fuel Pump Relay
View Single Post
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 14:40   #24
S40T3
Where does that bit go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesters6 View Post
i think the pressure wouldn't be enough to keep up with the pump that squirts it through the injectors .
the mechanical pumps depend on the petrol stored in the carb to make up the differences in engine speed as they are directly driven by it ,i expect putting your foot down has a lag producing the fuel needed which would not be liked by a injector system as they work on higher pressures.
theoretically you dont need an in tank pump just a powerful outside one to suck the fuel out fast enough.my MK2 espace (horrid car) also G reg never had an in tank pump only an external one ,i presume (will await for more experienced members) a sender from a carb version and an external pump would work ????????????
Fuel injection systems work without an in-tank pump if the tank connection is at the bottom of the tank. They do still need the high-pressure rotary pump to work the metering unit, but this is outside of the tank. 240s take fuel from the top of the tank, so have an in-tank lift pump to avoid cavitation at the main pump when drawing fuel.
S40T3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S40T3 For This Useful Post: