Thread: 240 General: - Fuses/Fuel Pump Relay
View Single Post
Old Dec 29th, 2021, 19:52   #27
Danielanthelions

Smile Fuel pump and fuel relay replacement

Hello,

Just replaced my two fuel pumps and both are quite accessible and trouble free changes. I did lose a few bits into the tank trying to put the thing back in, as a real tight squeeze, but found a fish tank net an excellent retrieval tool (though a child's arm would be even better, but tricky with social services), before trying again and again. Working with the tank open isn't such a risk as you would think, just as long as you have the battery off and don't use any electrical kit near the hole.

The fuel will likely become contaminated if left in open air for long. I left mine open for a week and it didn't smell any more, but it also didn't work as petrol any more too :-( I think the vapour part of the petrol must be pretty important, so have gone and got a couple of cans of new petrol to fill it back up now.

If I remove fuse 4 I get no sound from the tank pump, but if plugged in is does buzz faintly, I would like to put some tubing on the outlet to see if it squirts out petrol, but am pretty sure this little pump is working ok.

Since replacement however, I still have a very warm (hot even) fuel pump relay and fuse 6, not sure if this normal and get the feeling they will melt given time, so still at a loss. So I have ordered a new relay and new fuse assy with modern fuses, plus will check the earths by the fuse box and under the rear seat. A clamp ammeter maybe good for fault finding if I can find one that works with DC?

Any advice if those have similar issues would be helpful.
Danielanthelions is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Danielanthelions For This Useful Post: