View Single Post
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 23:51   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncman View Post
This might have been covered in an earlier post but we have a problem with our 2019 Swift Challenger 590 with Sargent electrics and LED lights. When connected to the car the indicators are on (not flashing but dimly lit) all the time. I'm told this is not uncommon and affects some BMW, Land Rover/Range Rover, Mercedes and Volvo models. Sargent do a vehicle lighting modification module (VLM) of which they are now up to VLM6. Thing is, surely if they have a fix then the van was not fit for purpose in the first place. My dealer wants 150 quid to fix my 23 grand caravan. Another option is to update the car but the guys at Portland Towing in Lincoln tell me there's not a trailer module for my car - a late 2010 XC90. It is fitted with westafalia detachable bar and vehicle specific wiring, but not Volvo parts. Any advice gratefully received. My inclination is to dig my heels in and claim the van was not fit for purpose under the Consumer Rights Act of 2015 and try to get the VLM6 fitted foc.
That's a pain in the neck but i don't think there's much you can do except pay up and look big.

Swift and/or Sargent obviously recognise there's a problem (i'm guessing with the CANBus protocols on the cars you mention) and are developing their VLMs to cope with new problems as and when they are found.

Swift/Sargent didn't choose your car - you did, therefore as you have been advised it may need a VLM, you were/are aware of it. It's obviously not every car in the car parc or there would be a case of the van not being fit for purpose but it appears to be limited to 2, possibly 3 that probably use a Bosch CANBus system (BMW, Merc and Volvo) and i have no clue what system JLR use. Given Lucas is now (i believe) Chinese owned and i think the Chinese either own or have a large pair of chopsticks dipped into the JLR pie, it would suggest if it is Lucas badged it's a Chinese thing.
Your XC90 was made under Fords ownership so who knows whether it's Bosch, Siemens, Fords own or what.

Some possible solutions :

1. "Put up and shut up" Not ideal but is the simplest/cheapest.

2. Talk nicely to whoever installed the towbar and/or sold you the caravan to see if they'll do you a deal on the correct VLM to eliminate the problem. Likely to be the easiest solution.

3. Sue them under the "Not fit for purose" act. Dubious whether you'll get anywhere, the court is likely to take the view you knew about the problem but still bought a Volvo and a Swift. Could involve huge costs that you'd probably find yourself liable for - definitely not ideal!

4. Approach Sargent, explain the problem to them and tell them you're willing to let them use your car and van as a development/test bed to perfect a VLM specifically for Volvo XC90 models on the understandng they fit a finished module (not a prototype) FOC for you.
It would save them a lot of time, guesswork and a fortune in development costs so is a potential win-win situation.

5. Sell the XC90 and the Swift, buy a 1995 960 and similar age Swift, with the spare £££ you have, get them both refurbed to match (or better) the condition of your "old" car and van and drive off into the sunset with your holiday home on wheels without any problems.
Probably not the solution you're thinking of but we didn't get these problems before CANBus was invented!

I would like to point out i'm not an expert on trading laws, you may find you do indeed have more redress available to you but for that advice you'll probably have to pay a solicitor for a consultation of some sort and/or them to send letters and so on. I'm suggesting what i percieve to be the outcome based on the information i have.

Hopefully in my suggestions there will be a workable solution for you or possibly a mix'n'match of solutions to get you what you need in the most cost effective way.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: