View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2021, 17:31   #1
rikernumber1
Phillip

Default EGR Valve - clean or replace

Hi - this is on an XC60 D3 2.0.

I'm getting periodic EGR valve errors; after the 3rd time I of resetting it (via VIDA) I bit the bullet - removed the airbox and throttle body and attempted to clean it in situ; although access was good, I found it hard to see what I was doing, and I wasn't satisfied I'd done a good enough job.

Sure enough suspicions confirmed - EML has come on again and I suspect it's EGR again. I have access to an endoscope which will make seeing what I'm doing easier.

My questions are:

1. If I have a 2nd attempt at cleaning it, what cleaner should I use? I tried EGR valve cleaner but it turned out to be the stuff you are supposed to spray whilst the engine is running and didn't seem very good on a cloth and rubbing (I know the engine running approach isn't very successful from reading about it).

2. Is there anyway to make the EGR valve open whilst I'm doing it, just so I can be thorough?

3. Should I just give up and buy a new EGR valve? It doesn't look too hard to fit - just a bit more disassembly around it and then it's held in place by three bolts, right?

TIA

Phillip
rikernumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote