View Single Post
Old Jan 29th, 2016, 07:41   #26
Arianne
Premier Member

Spoke the Mrs A last night about the position with the BMW dealer. The result is that we will cancel the appointment because there really is no point driving an X5 with the engine/gearbox combo as a proxy for the smaller and lighter X3. I have asked them if they have a used model with the right engine and gearbox on an X3 but I have yet to hear back from them.

I accept that the Porsche will be more expensive but, even though the residuals are becoming a bit softer, the model holds its value well and Porsche are unlikely to chase volume. We have choices about how to finance this next car. One option is to use cash from savings (we have plenty of liquidity) although I prefer the thought of avoiding such a large drawdown. Another is PCP because the residuals are so strong on the Macan, although the dealer PCP is 7.81% and there's just no way I am accepting that. Halifax have a new PCP product on the market at 4.2% which is enticing. Or I could compromise and put a large deposit down and buy the car through finance on the balance, knowing that it will be easy to sell after 3-4yrs (it's a Macan after all!).

Of course, all of this depends upon us liking it and tomorrow will be just the beginning. If we are interested then we will take our time which is why we've started looking now. I understand Porsche provide a track day experience at Silverstone so that you can learn how to drive the thing if you place an order!

I also have grown to like the XC90 but I just cannot get my head around a 4cyl VEA engine in this size of car. I have come to learn the DNA of the VEA unit - it's competent, enjoyable but just lacks that certain something which a 5cyl or 6cyl unit might provide.

I have really struggled to settle on a replacement for our current car. I thought the f-pace might be the answer. When I have compared the lifetime cost & likely ownership experience of the Macan alongside the f-pace it may be that the Jaguar comes back into play?

Oh well, we're going to enjoy the experience as for us it's all part of the fun. I'll update you guys after the test drive.

Great banter folks, always a pleasure to chat!

Arianne