View Single Post
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 23:22   #31
4wheeldriver
Master Member

If you read the original post properly you will see that after the conversation with the VCUK engineer I posted that he told me that is how the geartronic box SHOULD operate by taking neutral to prevent you from holding it too long in a gear to use engine braking and (possibly) damaging the gearbox!

Obviously from some of the posts it doesnt ALWAYS act like this as some seem to have it happen to them and others dont. During my test drive with the engineer I displayed the xc90 running solo gather momentum from 40mph to over 50 on 2 seperate downhill stretches and was told that it was "how the box operates" Obviously this is not entirely true as above, some do and some dont suffer from this "feature". Seems to be a lot of problems with Volvos across the brand suffer from various "features" to cover up their shortcomings. Personally this was enough for me to put the safety of my family above persevering with it and the car was got rid of in short order.

for a brand that sells on its reputation for safety I find this to be a less than satisfactory explanation of a "feature" on a premium brand.