View Single Post
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 11:37   #8
Oil Rag

Excellent reply gents, (and any ladies), I have read each reply in detail and appreciate the advice.

So in general, try to get one that is as clean as possible with regards to MOTs and with the best service history, then go through it servicing everything. Apart from that, there is nothing to look at that commonly fails at high miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post

1). If you are going to change all fluids and consumables etc (power steering, Coolant, Auto box, AOC etc etc) and belts (Aux and probably close to cambelt at higher miles) then go for it, it’s gonna be less than £200 and a few hours work.

2). Major bore wear, and chassis rust/rot won’t be an issue if it’s been looked after. All the bearings, bushes, rotating parts and such will be at end of life and you will need multiple refreshes etc. Again, this is fine, if you are going to do it yourself.

Thanks.

Yes most work will be done by myself, firstly as you say a full front to back service, including cambelt, then any bushes that need attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post

I can change a cambelt for something like £25.
I assumed the kit would cost around £150-200 including the water pump etc as most cars are, plus the labour on top of that if you're paying a garage to do it. Is £25 just the cost for the belt? If it is the kit, that's a bargain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisRed View Post
From my very recent experience:

Bushes: this is a heavy car and if my mot history is to be believed, you’ll be needing new bushes in one place or another soon

Anti skid service: can either be the steering wheel angle sensor or, if your car has a sunroof, yaw sensor. Both are easy enough to change but not the cheapest.
Good tips, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisRed View Post
Lastly, the DIM: the solder / balls can fail, giving you Eratic / no readings on your instrument cluster. There’s a chap in east London who repairs them for £72 + postage. Did a great job on mine.
Noted, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCF View Post
Had my 2010 XC90 from new. Now on 145k miles.
Mines needed turbo charge pipe twice (early on in life). More recently coolant leak from donut pipe, and intercooler (changed myself so cheap ) and then aircon compressor and steering angle sensor more recently. I use an Indy for non service work but I still get mine serviced at volvo - mainly for ease and the annual European breakdown cover which I’ve used to good effect (Coolant leak in france!)

Interesting to know.
Oil Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Rag For This Useful Post: