View Single Post
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 15:04   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I am always a little wary of these types of posts because the responses are generally ‘yes these cars will do lots of miles etc etc’.

Now this is true, mine has done 125k and I will expect the same.

However I have changed every fluid in it (power steering fluid was filthy, as was auto box and all others!).

And this is the thing.

1). If you are going to change all fluids and consumables etc (power steering, Coolant, Auto box, AOC etc etc) and belts (Aux and probably close to cambelt at higher miles) then go for it, it’s gonna be less than £200 and a few hours work.

2). Major bore wear, and chassis rust/rot won’t be an issue if it’s been looked after. All the bearings, bushes, rotating parts and such will be at end of life and you will need multiple refreshes etc. Again, this is fine, if you are going to do it yourself.

If you are going to take this to garages however (Volvo or independent) then walk away and buy a later lower milage one is my advice.

I can change a cambelt for something like £25. You will pay 10 times that for a garage. Bushes and control arms are cheap, unless you pay a garage then it’s £xxx.

Hope that helps??
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post: