View Single Post
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 13:20   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Rag View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a high mileage XC90 between a '58 and '10 plate and wondered if there was anything particular to look for when viewing?

The mileage will be around 140-180k.

A couple of common issues are the handbrake mechanism and the AWD system becoming 2WD. Is it correct to think that these are issues only associated with earlier XC90s and should be less of an issue with the '58 and onwards?

Thanks for any advice.
There's probably plenty to choose from so I would say :

- As said above, AWD issues sorted by MY2006 so shouldn't be an issue if there are no lights/messages etc.

- Parking brake easy to sort - if it doesn't work well then negotiate rather then reject the car

- Service history is key - check the MOT history on line, if lots of fails for tyres, bulbs etc. then it's not been well looked after.

- Check all electrics - they're not unreliable but can be expensive to sort.

- Should have had cambelt and aux belt by then - check

- Check the gearbox is smooth when car thoroughly warm - get the gearbox oil changed if its not been done in the last 60k or so.

- Be careful of R-Design/Sport models, the ride is firmer and the bigger wheels need more expensive tyres that don't last as long - SE LUX is best spec or executive if you come across one.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: