Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Oct 19th, 2022, 18:00   #2522
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
As an electrician (retired) I'd love to agree, but what else would one do with an AVO meter - the instrument would have no commercial use whatsoever?

I sometimes wonder how many RR Merlin engines were scrapped for the price of the aluminium when Spitfires, Hurricanes and Lancasters were suddenly overtaken by events in about 1950, or beautiful steam locomotives and static engines were broken for scrap when the diesel and electric age arrived. We can't keep everything - however wonderful the engineering was when it came out of the factory.

Sometimes one has to accept that stuff from the past just doesn't work well enough any more. You chaps may recall the radiogram I took out of the Barge:

... it was huge, heavy, had only two channels and the sound quality was rubbish. I little bit of me wanted to keep it, but common sense prevailed. The £15 retro-styled modern receiver that replaced it weighed perhaps 10% as much and was tiny in comparison:

... it has 4 channels and the sound quality is really good.

Perhaps one day I'll get the Volvo MDL radio/cassette player made into a lamp or a Bluetooth speaker - but there again perhaps I won't :-).

Alan
You’re right of course, a world full of obsolete stuff is a museum, nice to visit not live in!

Word has it that many Merlin engines were buried near me at the old Ordnance Depot at Hilton. The house building frenzy in that area might turn summat up!🤔