View Single Post
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 17:23   #15
duke1
mad mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
Ah, I see. If its weeping a bit then yes, they'll need to be replaced

Do a write up of it if you can - I'd be interested to see how you do these as I've never done them before.
hi ive never done the volvo ones but it looks same as the audi/vw system and pretty foolproof.
at the moment im pacing myself trying not to overdo/overspend and end up ill and in trouble with the missus.
but not wanting to scrimp on essential bits but by taking the time to disassemble and check each job before i order anything i can do without and only buy what i cannot recondition myself.
i have come to a bit of a problem trying to change the balljoint boot on o/s as in the damn pinchbolt is kindly rounded of already and seized beyond belief even after undoing the nut the bolt remains stuck despite copious soaking in penetrating oil.
and i even resorted to a diy tool to try drive the bolt through which only managed to bend the protruding threaded part of the bolt,it appears the head of the bolt has fused with the metal it goes through in a manner most difficult to deal with, as in i dare not use heat as car is liable to go woosh in flames.
and theres not enough room to use the grinder and chop the head of the bolt without damaging driveshaft and boot,is there any such thing as a split balljoint cover like the cv boots you glue on?i do not fancy having to remove the whole damn shebang driveshafts and suspension just for sake of 1 poxy bolt,i replaced other side with nice stainless nuts and bolts so as i never have same trouble again.
i intend this car to be a keeper and being a retired mechanic with ocd this could turn into an epic journal!
as requested i took a few pics!
also on the matter of the pcv system is there a list of needed parts for my old banger here,she is 1994 non turbo and engine code in pic any help would be great,stay safe all and thanks for any help and replies,peace
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car 002.JPG (303.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg car 003.JPG (298.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg car 004.JPG (282.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg car 005.JPG (268.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg car 006.JPG (266.5 KB, 29 views)