View Single Post
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 11:44   #9
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

I have my old strap wrenches (one large, one small) where the strap is steel band. Stuart is right about access and clearance. The cup style wrenches in the link are likely the easiest and cheapest. There's a cup wrench which is more like a ring and they cost lots more.

In the case of my oldies, I get a grip on the canister and am able to nudge the filter 1/8 turn. The release / grab action of the strap wrench is essentially automatic if you keep the tool in place so I can tickle the wrench 4 or 5 times and the canister is then easy to unscrew the rest of the way.

So give that a try if you have my style wrenches left over from the 1950's! Otherwise, just get the correctly sized cup wrench and be done with it.

WARNING: There are modern, cheap, 2-pack strap wrenches with a thick rubber strap which I doubt would go around the filter because there's no clearance (as mentioned). Also, today's cheap strap wrenches have clunky, large plastic handles which also likely wouldn't allow the "scootching method" I use.

ps If you've never used one of the cup wrenches before you'll find there's a force which wants to separate cup from oil canister. It's almost odd. Just be ready to push on the cup wrench to keep it in place as you turn it. That's how mine (for other cars) seem to go. No biggie.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote