View Single Post
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 15:31   #29
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierx View Post
I believe the first EV's were created around 1910 🤣

But seriously, the earliest "mainstream" EV's are 2010 Nissan Leafs and if you look at the cheapest ones on ebay/autotrader they are faulty ones with dead batteries. No-one is going to spend £6k putting a new battery in a £3k Nissan Leaf, so at that point, it's a car for parts/scrap. (With long range modern EV's the battery can be £20k+)

We can only look at how zero 20 year old mobile phones/laptops/power tools have working batteries that can still a decent charge. We can read from the datasheets of the batteries that the cells decay both as a function of time and number of cycles, so they will fail.

All that said, if you are the sort of person that likes EVs, and they work for you, then by all means you go for it 👍

I personally enjoy keeping older petrol/diesel cars going for as long as possible and will continue to do so for as long as I am able to drive them.
They aren't the ones I'm looking at. I'm looking at the ones that have decent battery health, like 10 bars+ with plenty of life left in them. I'm still not 100% sure what to do, being honest.

In the same sense, if a petrol or diesel car required a lot of money to get it running again or through an MOT, not many would be keen on spending that either. Not everyone keeps cars forever, some would rather put the money that they'd spend on their existing car to something newer with less mileage.

I can go on autotrader right now and find cars with a list of advisories as long as my arm that will need attention at some point in future. I'd rather buy one that had less problems.