Thread: New 142
View Single Post
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 13:39   #137
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Some info for the single Stromberg folk out there. I have a lightly modified B20; Tinus tuning TT3 cam, thin head gasket (0.8mm I think it was) lightened flywheel and 2” exhaust. I made up a stub stack to fit in the original housing and also fitted a K&N filter inside. Rebuilt the Stromberg and fitted a adjustable jet. Have a 123 distributor and set on the B18B map. With the standard air filter the B1CC needle was a good match but with the stub stack and K&N filter in ran lean so I created a spreadsheet and graphed them against the B1CC needle to determine which I thought would be best. The one from my graph and from where I thought it would idle on the needle the best choice seemed to indicate it would be the B1BR needle. Gave it a try this morning and have nailed it. Idle is low 13s:1, WOT stays at 12.5:1 longer and cruises around stoich. I don’t have a overdrive so don’t cruise above 70mph but put the foot down at 70mph it pulls much better and it still accelerating strong past 80mph. Don’t get me wrong this isn’t a major build looking for big Hp numbers, I was looking for more low to mid range torque and keeping the original appearance with the single Stromberg. I am very pleased how well she goes, starts immediate whether cold or hot, idles lovely, got much better acceleration and gets good mpg. It is night and day better than it was when I first got her. Just wanted to share my experience with folk.