View Single Post
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 12:57   #26
FreshAir

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWT View Post
Hi Fresh Air
I appreciate that 2000kg is a heavy van and yes i am 100% sure that it is correct (Swift Elegance 645), I would also point out that i am no novice to towing or vehicle loading having towed for over 40 years across this country and the whole of europe!!

The cars towing limit is 2200kg the kerb weight over the bridge with a full tank and driver is 1950KG. All up the car loaded ready to roll is 2200kg. Whilst i accept the van is slightly heavier than the car in an unloaded condition this should make no difference to the stability unless it is being driven by a lunatic and i do not fall into that category.
The issue is with the rear suspension trailing on the floor and lifting the front wheels thus lightening the steering.
As said already the car has a nose weight limit of 110kg and i have tried to stick to 100kg this provided Volvo are not be economical with the truth should run level and stable.
Nice caravan. MIRO is 1,700kg so at 5% gives 85kg.

Not much difference between 85kg and the 100kg you are running at, and with kit in the car on rear seats you would expect it to not be dragging the rear of the car.

I've not got as much experience as you, only 10 years now. I started out with 1,250kg 'van (actual with kit in on weighbridge) and car that was about 1,300kg before luggage. That was OK up to 60mph, but you really noticed if it went over that or there were cross winds. Big difference towing same 'van with a 1,700kg car, super stable up to higher speeds, although I kept to 60mph normally. So you weight match is very close to 100% so will have similar stability to what I started with, albeit improved for you by the twin axle of course.

I also noticed with the first car I was using that having too much weight in the boot was bad, rookie error, now goes over the axle in the 'van. It is way better that way.

Hope you get a suitable resolution, as both the car and 'van you have got are great. So many resort to SUV's these days for towing. Estates are so much nicer.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote