View Single Post
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 10:51   #3
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Can't help you with a car, although mine is exactly the sort you might hope for: here's some data to help:

I bought it new in 2014 - FWD D4 Auto, diesel.
Whatcar tells me it is worth perhaps £10-11k
Fully loaded:
  • winter pack (heated everything!), adaptive cruise control (which is *amazing*)
  • active high beam headlights (also amazing - leave the kerb on main beam whilst dipping for cars on the right, for example).
  • 8-speed auto - very relaxing drive, I do recommend it. I did Polestar it a few years ago for a little extra urgency when desired It was much cheaper than trading the car in!
  • Even have a button to lower the rear headrests (handy for clipping the ears if the kids are misbehaving!).
Currently at 92k miles - just had The Expensive service - cambelt (which is £400-600 depending on dealer!). Worth making sure that is stamped up, or knocking perhaps 600 off for it.
That service for me also needed new front discs/pads, as well as MOT - all-in came to almost a grand ....but I new it would, and it has cost relatively little over the years.

The DC (diamond cut) wheels are a PIA - after a few years, they inevitably tarnish as water bubbles through - I would only go with regular alloys, given a choice. That said, you are near https://www.citywheelrefurbishment.co.uk - I had them refurb some old bubbling alloys, and they did a brilliant job at a very fair price!

Our XC60 has served us very well: we are 3 years into owning a Kona EV, & that is our main car, doing 80% of our runs. We generally get around 35mpg, but can drive carefully and get nearer 40.

It now does around 4-5k pa (used for a variety of long/ski/tip/kids-moving runs).....& whilst we feel we should change a car, I suspect we may hold onto the Volvo forever!
Every now & then I look at replacements, but a similar XC60 (or 90 - even more capacity for tip runs!) just costs so much more....

Good luck - they are very fine vehicles!
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post: