View Single Post
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 16:34   #3
jlgrosvenor

By 'fooling' the ECU, you injection system will add more fuel that required. With this addition you will use more fuel, damage the catalytic convertor with soot and fail MOT testing. The soot may also clog up the spark plugs quickly.
On the plus side, you may be able to convince yourself that you can feel the awesome increase of 1 or 2 horsepower.

I think you would have better improvements by making sure the brakes are in good working order (and lubricated on the slide pins), using a decent synthetic engine oil and using a new, clean airfilter + spark plugs if they haven't been changed for a while.

One thing to note that I found out the hard way.
The old seals in the 440/460 were not designed with the detergent capabilities of modern oils in mind. When I switched to a very new oil (something like API SM specification) it is a bit agressive on the seals, meaning they get cleaned to hell and start leaking. I have ended up taking the engine out and replacing all the engine seals - otherwise I was getting through (dropping) 2 litres of oil every few hundred miles.
jlgrosvenor is offline   Reply With Quote