View Single Post
Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 11:55   #3
TheBeast

Thanks for your reply Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
The above part number comes up as a two port "switch/gate" ( I use this term because "turbo boost solenoid " means different parts to different people with different cars)
You are right regarding the different names used. I believe Volvo call it a 'Governor' (see picture attached).

Quote:
I can't help with the ohms reading (but IIRC it is low), however Si Robb on his Utube channel until recently, had two videos about cleaning /stripping the valve inside the part down and cleaning it. ( crud makes it stick/ not move smoothly)
Had seen that videos too, but mine is slightly different and there is no easy way to dismantle it. I could attack it with a screwdriver in an attempt to take the plastic cover off (bottom right bit on the picture) but with my luck I'll probably snap something off.

Hopefully somebody here has an idea regarding the required ohms..?

What is more indicative of the thing perhaps not functioning properly is that when I gently blow on one of the ends, air comes out of the other. My understanding is (quite possibly wrong ) that it should not let air through when there is no charge on it, and open when under charge.
Thoughts anyone please?

Quote:
I have the occasional over-boost issue which I place at this parts door. My 2015MY is a twin turbo D5 and IIUC this part opens a gate to move boost air to the 2nd (larger) turbo at about 2000RPM. As I rarely exceed 2000RPM I live with the occasional problem, which is why I probably got the problem in the first place LOL.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Bob.
The joys of low revs cruising!

I'm actually investigating the reverse. I'm getting an underboost...

Following 2 codes:

ECM-P029900 Turbocharger/Supercharger A Underboost Condition
ECM-P003A85 Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control A Position Exceeded Learning Limit - Bus Signal / Message Failures - Signal above allowable range.

Have done smoke tests on any hose I could get my fingers on and couldn't find a leak.

Had a look at all the possible parameters within VIDA and all seem to be reporting sensible data.

Not got to the turbo/VNT actuator itself yet, as the weather here has been pretty bad and I have to work outside.

Tempted to run an 'Adaptation turbo system' but not sure if this could do more harm than good. If there is a mechanical fault somewhere, the ECM might 're-learns' the wrong thing...
Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Governor_31293964.jpg (173.1 KB, 14 views)
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote