View Single Post
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 22:54   #8
puddles

Default Reduced engine Performance

I have read many answers to this problem all varying and each one right in its own way, so what is the problem? Can I share an experience which may help you to understand why there is no easy solution but investigation to why this as come up, five months ago this came on my 2009 Volvo V50 and went out a few second late, it did this few times till I put redex injector cleaner in and for 3 months had no trouble, there was a bigger problem then just putting cleaner in the fuel, 3 months later a couple of weeks before my child broke of school this message came up again this time with engine warning light and car going into limp mode. I plugged in my code reader cancelled codes which allowed my car to drive normal for a while. I did this till my child broke of school and I had time now to look into this.

First thing I noticed soot all over the engine and there was 3 codes high air intake, overheating EGR and code I had to look up on the computer DPF, looking in I found a split from turbo to intercooler Hose so replaced that and noticed oil in a air filter showing turbo seals had gone so decided to replace turbo, 80% of turbo hoses and oil strainer, car started to drive better no more engine warning light but a warning anti skid light come on, looking at code reader EGR so decided to replace valve and cooler, car started to drive better but reduced engine speed light continued to come on with on code the one I had to look up on computer DPF high temperature, I took car for a long drive but a lot of soot coming out of exhaust and didn't cure the problem.

I decided to buy a new DPF filter and I did and for five weeks no trouble all codes cleared, sadly last week reduced engine performance message came up again, after further investigation the exhaust temperature sensor probe had broke off and air filter to turbo hose was split, for the sensor the code reader showed high voltage when put in computer information lead to the sensor, replaced that and that problem cured but engine reduced performance message is still coming up so waiting to receive the hose, I can't see any other faults so I am lost if this doesn't work as over £1,300 new parts as gone into putting this right. I blame this on ignoring earlier warning signs and Turbo and EGR failure was caused by overheating due to a block DPF so don't ignore the warning even if it goes off and doesn't come on for a few months as redex wasn't a cure.

You will need a code reader as even so it will come up with DPF there will be another code leading you near to a related problem, check for soot around engine which is showing a split hose, there is no one solution it starts by a blocked DPF which if ignored will cause other problems. Yes it can be as simple as a split hose and as complicated as a overheated engine. Once new parts have been fitted you will need a code reader to update ECU as if you don't delete codes the EGU will still think it got these problems, sorry I haven't got no easier answer, like I said over £1,300 doing all the labour myself. Each part I replaced had to be replaced and problems was caused by overheating and the two parts which later went I didn't replace so putting old parts back on is a gamble.
puddles is offline   Reply With Quote