View Single Post
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 13:47   #1
Sonny47

Default V50 2.0D Engine cut out and won't start.

Anyone quite technical with the 2.0D engine?

I have an issue and a long story 😬

I have an 06 V50 2.0D 136hp, never had any running or starting issues for 5 years. The car had been stood in cold weather for around a week, the wife said the fuel light is on and showing only 30miles left, so I jump in (car is facing slightly up hill) and toy suprise, no fuel light is on and saying I have 120miles left. I do a 20mile round trip and fill it with £40 of diesel with no issues.

The weekend we travel 90miles to see friends with no issues, then on route back around 50miles in, I'm on the motor way and feel a judder and loss of power, I manage to stick it in 3rd with quite high revs and travel 1mile until I can get off the motorway. As I pull off from the junction in 1st it's really lost power and juddering so rev it abit harder just to get down te road in a layby. Switched off and the wouldn't start...

Mr AA man came, relayed the story to him about fuel gauge and said I have probably ran out of fuel, he puts in 10litres, primes it upto the filter, lots of turning over with cold start spraying in and it would idle (I presume on the cold start and not diesel) then cut out. His conclusion is the high pressure pump is shot!

Recovered back home, battery on charge and I look, loads of air in the clear fuel line from the filter to the pump, so I hand pump fuel all the way unto the pump, squirted abit in the top of the pump and cranked it over, i cracked open the nut on the metal fuel line and no pressure or even weaping/spitting of diesel coming out.

So I fit a second hand fuel pump, pulled around 2 litres of fuel out upto the pump to make sure of no air, squirted abit into the pump, cranked it over, lots, and got some little slodges of fuel coming out the metal fuel pipe and also at the injectors but not alot of pressure and still wouldn't start.

Me and my engine bay stink of diesel and the cars still not running 😔

Oh and I had no engine warning lights at all throughout this whole process!
Sonny47 is offline   Reply With Quote