View Single Post
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 12:05   #49
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
Well that’s proper weird. The car is a T5R registered October 1995 I think from memory, but there’s no diagnostic area in the engine bay and there’s certainly an OBD port under a rubbery coin holder in front of the gear stick. All paperwork suggests T5R and it has the T5R sticker in the petrol flap.

I’m confused now! Is it a model on the cusp or T5R and 850R maybe?
It won't be that it was on the cusp of T-5R / R production as there was a gap of some months between cessation of the T-5R and the introduction of the R. The R didn't launch until the spring of 1996.
So 3 possibilities:
1. A very few OBDII T-5R's may have been built by the factory at the end of the production run. - Very possible and if your memory is correct about your registration date being in October then yours would have been one of the very, very last off the production line
2. Someone has converted the car to an internal OBD II. Possible, but I cant see why they would remove the underbonnet code reader.
3. It's not a T-5R but been made a lookalike - I would think unlikely as it would involve substantial work and costs. Stickers and badges are easy and cheap but you would have to change all the seats as these are unique to the T-5R as are the wheels and some other detailed items. If its registered as a T-5R then it almost certainly is. You can always do a vin check and look at all the build plates on the car and decode them for peace of mind - plenty of sources on how to decode the plates on the internet. Also, look at the engine number - it should be a B5234T5 followed by the serial number.

My guess is that it's No 1 of these possibilities as car manufacturers can, and often do, do running changes mid build programme. We used to do it at Ford all the time when I worked there. Annoying whenever you are trying to track down correct parts.

Regards
John
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote