View Single Post
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 13:13   #25
volvulus

Default follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvulus View Post
Hi, my 1991 940 2 litre died yesterday at a busy junction, there was no noise or drama that I could hear above the traffic noise but, after investigation the timing belt has snapped.

The burning question is..... is this engine, (I believe a B200f but could be wrong
a NON interference engine?

There are numerous threads I've seen on the web and, some say a red block engine is a safe, i.e. non interference engine and others saying their b200f had damage.

Is it a case of strip it and look or is there a definitive answer to interference or NON interference?

Many thanks Ken
So... I said I would post my results of my timing belt change, and.... in answer to my original question... the b200f is 75% non-interference (in my case.)

Number 3 cylinder has zero pressure on the pressure test after the belt fitted.

At first I think I was a tooth out.( It's easy to do, the marks are not exact)

It ran really bad and noisy till I re timed the belt, It runs much better now but, there is a knocking noise; like a really noisy tappet makes.

So it's head off and, replace the damaged parts or....head off to a dealer to buy a replacement car. By the time I've done that and sold on my tank I could have repaired her.

Thanks for all the helpful replies, much appreciated. Ken
volvulus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvulus For This Useful Post: