View Single Post
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 13:52   #31
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

The issue is that it is ‘sealed for life’ but that’s not sealed for ever and at north of 100,000 miles Volvo would probably agree it has had its life, whereas you no doubt would he extremly annoyed should it fail.

From memory (I have done it twice) the first thing to do is get a torx 55 for the fill plug (this is large so check you have one).

Clearly undo the refil first so you don’t dump them have issues.

Then with the engine off pull out the integrated leve plug (which is a torx 40 from memory) and then undo the drain which is a 17 or 19mm hex (I can’t remember).

Place the drain and integrated leve back in and add the same you removed.

It’s really not very hard and is likely to give you considerably improved life and shifting etc.

I would caution on a 2011 that you are at a changeover year so do take care to ensure you get the correct fluid which I assume woll he jws3324 and not jws 3309 (it’s possible but not likely to be 3309). Note the fluids are not comparable.

Give Chris or Ashley at Eastbourne Volvo a call* and ask for a discount. It will still be expensive but I personally use correct Volvo fluid. I personally use 12l but I wouldn’t worry about using 8l to save some money.

* I don’t know them but buy all my stuff from them.

One point I would note is that in my experience none of the seals leak or cause issues however bear in mind the o-ring seal for the integrated level plug is only a elastomer type so may get cut (I would replace it). Also do bear in mind the Integrated leve plug is torqued to 8nm which really is not a lot.

You are supposed to set the level at 50-60 degrees which in practice means start the engine and leave 30 minutes so it’s hot. You are also supposed to reset the adaptations and reset the counter but in reality you won’t have any issue not doing so.

I have done this twice on mine and at 125k mine shifts as smooth as silk
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote