View Single Post
Old Apr 23rd, 2021, 22:39   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindol View Post
Funny old world, just had car in a Somerset dealer needed a new sensor, on collecting the car told sensor on bonnet latch had failed and fitting a new one was £155.00. Otherwise warning light on dash would remind of fault.

Typing the fault on the internet I found several people have reported the same thing and also reported a possible cure. The cure being lubricating the two latches. The near side was really stiff the offside not bad. Plainly neither had been oiled and were both dry and rusty. Did the deed and two days later hey ho it works.

No where on the service list does it mention oiling the latches or the door hinges, or the boot yet my 1964 Triumph 2000 which I service has it done annually!

I stupidly thought it would be included, instead I get a video of the underside of my car sent to my email. I imagine that oiling the latches would take less time and be more beneficial.

My only reason for using the main dealer was the addition of Volvo assist as some years ago it was a godsend with a previous Volvo. The car is a 2013 model which I intend to keep as a tow car, but I have decided to follow forum members to use an independent service garage, I have spoken to them and they seem to be very much down to earth so whilst we still tow a caravan they will get my business.

When will large dealerships learn, never whilst they can get away with less than excellent service.
I don't know of any dealerships/manufacturers/independent garages that lubricate hinges or latches. You might get a wash/valet after a service, but that'll be about it. So yeah, it was a silly thought!

Do the same to your Volvo as you do with your Triumph (do it yourself). Don't expect a dealership or any garage really to lubricate your hinges/locks because its highly likely that they won't even bother. As you said, its not on a service bulletin, so why would they? Staff follow specific procedures & from my understanding, greasing door latches isn't one of them.

As the saying goes, "if you want something done right, do it yourself". Its not hard to buy a tin of spray or grease & give the doors etc a squirt every now & again.

Last edited by Kev0607; Apr 23rd, 2021 at 22:54.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post: