View Single Post
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 23:26   #3
Constantinos

Quote:
Originally Posted by john langrick View Post
Hi, no guide, but have seen one somewhere.

My gearknob was was very worn, gaiter was perished but at 180k I suppose normal wear and tear.

I purchased a gear shift assembly on ebay to experiment. The gear knob on this was leathered rather than the worn out silvery plastic original (with the slivery bits worn to white plastic), so this was to be a replacement.

You can get the whole thing for about £40.

You simply prise the silvery cap, just below the knob downwards away from the knob with a small screwdriver and so that it can slide downwards on the selector shaft.

Then with both hands grab the shift knob, using your elbows on the seat as a fulcrum. Make sure you are at pretty much arm's length so that when the shift knob pulls out, it does not break your nose.

It clips in place but a good pull will remove it. In my case I experimented on my ebay unit first.
The plate with the gear selection indicator on it just pulls out of the plate that covers the assembly but is attached with a ribbon cable that ideally you unplug carefully.

A new leather gaiter is pretty cheep but a real fiddle fastening it to the panel.

Remove the old one by taking a retaining plate off. A bit of a fiddle. There are small noches in the leather that ideally you replicate in the new.

The real problem is fitting it to the small ring that slides back up the knob. How this was fitted originally I don't know but in my case the new gaiter has quite a small diameter hole in the top so never fitted the silver band.

Incidentally I offered the rest of the unit to another member whose kids had spilt drink into the gear unit and shorted the small pcb in there. He only wanted the pcb assembly so sent that in the post. The rest of the unit still remains if I ever have the 'stick in neutral' mechanical problem.

Hope this all helps

John l
Thank you John.
Would you recommend for me to buy the whole unit or just the leather
Constantinos is offline   Reply With Quote