Thread: AWD Transmission: - Engine noise and odd Transmission behaviour
View Single Post
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 15:47   #20
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdzXC View Post
I did notice over weekend that I seem to have an issue with my Parking brake - its non existent when the car is hot but also creates a lot of squeal noise when released. Could my parking brake be creating drag on the engine? Would kind of make sense to me... would explain why I'm getting an intermittent jolt before the car starts moving after letting off the brakes and engine noise gets worst when at full temperature.
Parking brakes are very sensitive on these cars.

They are a drum brake operating on the drum inside the rear brake disc
If not used, the brake drum lining rusts and then the pads do not grip.
Additionally, if you have washed the car and the drums got wet inside, and you put the park brake on, they can rust to the drum and stick, resulting in a BANG when they release when the wheel starts rolling. Happened to me last week, locked the wheel in reverse, I had to go D-N-R a few times and a bit of engine power to release the park brake.

It then proceeded to squeal - but this may also be my disc brakes as that wheel was warmer than the others that day.

If the drum has rusted too much, then you need new drums and new park brake shoes.

The park brake should hold the car of an 18% incline - that's quite a steep hill - both pointing downhill and uphill. If it doesn't, and/or you need to depress the foot level more than 6 clicks, then it needs inspecting / cleaning / adjusting and maybe renewing the discs/pads.

And if you do have wheel brake squeal, inspect all wheels for rubbing brakes (easy with a IR thermometer after a few miles driving - the wheel with rubbing brakes will be a lot warmer than the others). The garage can disassemble, clean, lubricate and reassemble. This normally fixes it.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote