Thread: 940 Holiday
View Single Post
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 18:44   #2
Forrest
VOC Member

Well done!!

In my experience these cars rarely leave you stranded. They can run long distances even with chronic faults. My record was ten years and 100k miles with a duff in-tank fuel lift pump. My only ever AA recovery in twenty-three years of driving 900 series Volvos was an undiagnosed head gasket failure which became critical about seventy miles from home. Much less and I'd have probably risked the journey with frequent water stops.

940 brakes benefit from regular maintenance. I have only just started getting into doing this myself and it seems relatively easy so far. Aside from the usual wear items the slide pins sticking is a common fault. Some people recommend cleaning and greasing them (with silicone brake grease) annually. It certainly pays to catch them before they get too stuck. I had to get one out recently by twisting with grips and then driving it out with a cold chisel and lump hammer. They should slide very easily.

The rear brakes sticking can cause vibrations at the front too.

Is your 2.0 turbo the HPT model with a turbo gauge in the rev counter? If so, it should actually be more powerful at 155bhp than the more common 2.3 LPT models which are 135bhp. The 2.3 HPT only gives you another 10bhp over the 2.0 turbo.
Forrest is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post: