Thread: 240 General: - Starting issues
View Single Post
Old Apr 5th, 2022, 11:58   #1
Juular

Default Starting issues

Coming to my wits end with a starting issue!

So as per my thread, 1988 B230 K-Jet fed engine.

My current issue is that on a cold start the car needs a very long crank before it will pick up and run. Once it picks up, it runs fine.

Hot starts, it will pick up first turn and run for a second or two before stalling. Then it will start and run absolutely fine.

Here is what I've eliminated / changed:

- In-tank fuel pump, replaced with an airtec one. It works, I can jump fuses 4-6 and you can hear it buzzing away.

- Main HP fuel pump. The old one was getting very noisy when hot and causing the car to kangaroo. Replaced with a Lucas pump. Noise and kangarooing has disappeared.

- All fuel hoses replaced - the one in the tank sender, and the out and return lines. New clamps.

- KJet fuel pressures are bang on, set with a pressure gauge. Car runs exceptionally well when running.

- Bridging fuses 4-6 to run the pumps before starting does not improve anything.

The problem seemed to start when I swapped the main pump. Before I did this, car would start first time, every time, but the pump would get very very hot and pull amps way above spec. After 15 minutes or so the car would kangaroo and occasionally die.

I can't see how a new HP pump that's working better than the old one, would cause a poor cold start?
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post: