View Single Post
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 12:43   #27
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I don't think there is any inherent issue with the brakes on an XC90. The drum-in-disc handbrake design is poor (although, in fairness, many (foot) drum mechanisms are prone to seizing), and the removal of the adjusters on P2s (it was there on the older stuff!) was a bad idea. I was pleased when Volvo switched to an electric handbrake - far less hassle!

I don't buy into the "must be genuine" approach. If you're willing to do some research, you can often find non-genuine parts of equal quality, and in some cases it's exactly the same item with the Volvo PN ground off. Of course it also depends on what value you put on your time.

I would happily fit a major aftermarket supplier's brake parts to any of my cars, assuming there's a reasonable saving to be made. As you say, there is nothing wrong with components from Ferrodo, Brembo, etc.

There are a number of variables involved, and I suspect that the weight of the thing and the slushbox are likely to be two big factors. Then you have the 'feel' issues (cylinder size ratios, etc). I very much doubt that the cars are actually under-braked, but pedal feel might be poor. Similarly, I doubt that changing from a quality aftermarket brand's components to genuine would be transformational unless the current pads are glazed.

Oh, and keep it cordial, all, please.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post: